Mono Lake Committee jobs
We will begin accepting applications for the 2015 seasonal staff positions on January 1, 2015.
If you have questions about the job application process, please contact Terry McLaughlin, Office Manager, at (760) 647-6595 x120.
- Information Center & Bookstore Intern (seasonal) FILLED
TITLE: Information Center & Bookstore Intern
STATUS: Full-time (40 hours per week)
DURATION: August 6 through September 30, 2014
ORGANIZATION: Mono Lake Committee
LOCATION: Lee Vining, California
SUPERVISED BY: Office Manager
The Information Center & Bookstore Intern promotes the Mono Lake Committee mission in the Information Center & Bookstore by working with the retail, information, and membership programs. All staff in the bookstore are the primary representatives of the Mono Lake Committee to visitors in the Information Center. The Information Center serves approximately 100,000 visitors each year.
•Work behind the counter in the Information Center & Bookstore with our retail sales, information, education, and membership programs on a daily basis.
• Develop a thorough understanding of all Information Center & Bookstore functions and products. This includes learning the point of sale cash register system, supporting store opening and closing procedures, safety procedures, and a familiarity with all store products.
• Subscribe new and renewing members to the Mono Lake Committee.
• Ensure that the store is clean, orderly, and stocked at all times.
• Clean the store and restroom facilities on a routine basis.
• Assist with other duties as requested by Information Center & Bookstore Manager.
• Effectively communicate the Mono Lake Committee’s mission, policies, Mono Lake ecology, and current events to visitors.
• Provide visitors with detailed and accurate information about Lee Vining, the Mono Basin, Yosemite National Park, and the Eastern Sierra.
• Stock and maintain tourist information binders and Chamber of Commerce area.
• Show the Mono Lake Committee film on a regular basis.
• Serve as a positive role model for all staff and within the community.
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and team player approach.
• Enthusiasm for and commitment to the Mono Lake Committee mission.
• Ability and reliability in cash handling.
• Ability to be detail oriented, organized, and an independent worker.
• Ability to work well with the public.
• Ability to work several closing shifts (until 9:30pm) per week.
• Ability to work several opening shifts (7:30am start) per week.
• Ability to be flexible under a changing schedule.
• Ability to quickly understand local natural history and complex California water issues.
• Sales experience preferred, but specific training will be provided.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds and stand up to eight hours per day.
• Employee discount on merchandise in the Information Center & Bookstore.
• Mileage is paid for all job-related travel.
• Shared housing may be available in Lee Vining.
• Working at Mono Lake!
The Mono Lake Committee is a 16,000-member citizens' group dedicated to the permanent protection and restoration of the Mono Basin ecosystem; educating the public about Mono Lake and the impacts on the environment of excessive water use; and promoting cooperative solutions that meet real water needs without transferring environmental problems to other areas.
The local area is comprised of sagebrush steppe, pinion-juniper, and Jeffrey pine forest plant communities, 46,000 acres of Mono Lake, numerous 12,000+ foot Sierra peaks, and plug-dome volcanoes. The Mono Lake Committee Information Center and Bookstore is in the town of Lee Vining (pop. 400, elev. 6,780'), on the eastern edge of Yosemite National Park overlooking Mono Lake. The town is located adjacent to the Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area, and the Ansel Adams and Hoover Wilderness areas. Lee Vining is situated along Highway 395, 27 miles north of Mammoth Lakes, California and 110 miles south of Carson City, Nevada.
The Information Center & Bookstore Intern position is temporary, lasting about six weeks. The Information Center & Bookstore Intern works 40 hours per week with two consecutive days off. Housing may be available through the Committee (sorry, no pets). The Information Center & Bookstore Intern also receives a discount on merchandise from the Information Center & Bookstore, and gets the great benefit of working for a successful environmental non-profit.
Applications are currently being accepted until the position is filled. To apply, send a cover letter and resume via email to Terry McLaughlin, Office Manager. For more information, please contact Terry at the Mono Lake Committee, P.O. Box 29, Lee Vining, CA 93541, (760) 647-6595 x120. Click here to download a PDF of the Information Center & Bookstore Intern job description.
- Volunteer at Mono Lake
- We welcome volunteers at any time. If you are interested in volunteering at Mono Lake, please contact Rosanne Catron, Office Directorat (760) 647-6595 x120.