Tioga Inn proposed development
This spring, Mono County will decide whether to approve an unprecedented, large-scale development project that threatens to permanently alter the visual resources of the Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area and the Mono Lake Tufa State Natural Reserve and erase the small-town, rural character of Lee Vining.
The Mono County Planning Commission disappointingly approved the project in a 4-0 vote on April 16. The next step for this project is:
At the May 19, 2020 Mono County Board of Supervisors
meeting a date will be set for the Supervisors to take up
the Tioga Inn project
As currently proposed, the Tioga Inn will be highly visible from many classic viewpoints including the shoreline at South Tufa, Navy Beach, Panum Crater, and Highway 395 south of Lee Vining, and will have significant impacts on the prized dark night skies throughout the Mono Basin, deer migration, the Lee Vining community and more.
About the Tioga Inn project
To learn more about what the Tioga Inn project entails, we recommend starting with this article: Tioga Inn development proposes significant adverse impacts: Inadequate DSEIR prompts strong public response to Mono County.
A Google Earth view of the Tioga Inn project area with the proposed components overlaid.
A Google Earth view of the proposed Tioga Inn project with Highway 120 on the
left intersecting with Highway 395, and Mono Lake in the distance.
Read the latest comment letter to the Mono County Planning Commission from the law firm of Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger:
• comment letter
• Exhibit A
• Exhibits B–G
• Mono County website: 2020 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & Final Subsequent EIR
• Mono Lake Committee's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Mono County website: 2019 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & DSEIR
• Mono County website: 1993 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & Final EIR
• Mono County website: Mono Basin Community Plans
Committee articles about the project
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn likely to go before Mono County Board of Supervisors in June
• Mono-logue post: Mono County Planning Commission disappoints; Board of Supervisors to vote soon on the Tioga Inn project
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn goes before Planning Commission for decision on April 16, 2020
• Mono-logue post: March Planning Commission meeting regarding the Tioga Inn is canceled
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn public workshop introduces final plan
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn Final SEIR released
• Winter & Spring 2020 Mono Lake Newsletter: Decision on Tioga Inn project nears: Public input on controversial proposal still key
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn public workshop scheduled for Tuesday, March 3, 2020
• Fall 2019 Mono Lake Newsletter: Tioga Inn development proposes significant adverse impacts; Inadequate DSEIR prompt strong public response to Mono County
• Mono-logue post: Over 700 comment letters submitted about the proposed Tioga Inn project
• Mono-logue post: Public comment letters on Tioga Inn plans needed by August 21
• Mono-logue post: A 100-unit workforce housing village proposed adjacent to Lee Vining near Mono Lake and Yosemite National Park
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn project at the Mobil Station moves forward after 23 years
Questions? Call (760) 647-6595 or send an email.