Tioga Inn proposed development
This spring, Mono County will decide whether to approve an unprecedented, large-scale development project that threatens to permanently alter the visual resources of the Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area and the Mono Lake Tufa State Natural Reserve and erase the small-town, rural character of Lee Vining.
As currently proposed, the Tioga Inn will be highly visible from many classic viewpoints including the shoreline at South Tufa, Navy Beach, Panum Crater, and Highway 395 south of Lee Vining, and will have significant impacts on the prized dark night skies throughout the Mono Basin, deer migration, the Lee Vining community and more.
There are two key meetings to attend this spring if you have concerns about the project:
Mono County Planning Commission
April 16, 2020 at 9:00am
meeting will take place via Zoom due to COVID-19
The Mono County Planning Commission meeting on the Tioga Inn development project is planned for April 16 via Zoom due to COVID-19. This will be the first decision point for project approval or denial. If you have concerns about the project, make sure to attend via the Zoom link, which will be posted online here closer to the meeting date.
Mono County Board of Supervisors
date, time, and location TBD
After the Mono County Planning Commission meeting, the project goes before the Mono County Board of Supervisors for a final decision. If you have concerns about the project, make sure to attend this meeting, or write a letter if you cannot make it. The Supervisors need to hear from the public as well.
About the Tioga Inn project
To learn more about what the Tioga Inn project entails, we recommend starting with this article: Tioga Inn development proposes significant adverse impacts: Inadequate DSEIR prompts strong public response to Mono County.
A Google Earth view of the Tioga Inn project area with the proposed components overlaid.
A Google Earth view of the proposed Tioga Inn project with Highway 120 on the
left intersecting with Highway 395, and Mono Lake in the distance.
• Mono County website: 2020 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & Final Subsequent EIR (a hard copy of the FSEIR is available to read at the Mono Lake Committee Information Center & Bookstore in Lee Vining)
• Mono Lake Committee's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Mono County website: 2019 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & DSEIR
• Mono County website: 1993 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & Final EIR
• Mono County website: Mono Basin Community Plans
Committee articles about the project
• Mono-logue post: March Planning Commission meeting regarding the Tioga Inn is canceled
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn public workshop introduces final plan
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn Final SEIR released
• Winter & Spring 2020 Mono Lake Newsletter: Decision on Tioga Inn project nears: Public input on controversial proposal still key
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn public workshop scheduled for Tuesday, March 3, 2020
• Fall 2019 Mono Lake Newsletter: Tioga Inn development proposes significant adverse impacts; Inadequate DSEIR prompt strong public response to Mono County
• Mono-logue post: Over 700 comment letters submitted about the proposed Tioga Inn project
• Mono-logue post: Public comment letters on Tioga Inn plans needed by August 21
• Mono-logue post: A 100-unit workforce housing village proposed adjacent to Lee Vining near Mono Lake and Yosemite National Park
• Mono-logue post: Tioga Inn project at the Mobil Station moves forward after 23 years
Questions? Call (760) 647-6595 or send an email.