Tioga Inn proposed development
The Mono Lake Committee is encouraging people who
value the Mono Basin to submit a comment letter about
the proposed Tioga Inn development.
The Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report (DSEIR) for the Tioga
Inn project found that there will be "6 significant unavoidable adverse
impacts"* from a proposed major addition to the current development
known as the Mobil Mart.
As currently proposed, the project will be highly visible from many classic viewpoints including South Tufa, Panum Crater, and Highway 395 south of Lee Vining, and will have significant impacts on the prized dark night skies throughout the Mono Basin, deer migration, the Lee Vining community and more.
You can read the Mono Lake Committee’s letter here, and the accompanying letter from our legal team at Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger here.
A Google Earth view of the Tioga Inn project area with
the proposed components overlaid.
A Google Earth view of the proposed Tioga Inn project with Highway 120 on the
left intersecting with Highway 395, and Mono Lake in the distance.
The comment period for the Tioga Inn DSEIR ended
on August 21 at 5:00pm PDT, but it's not too late to submit a letter. The Mono County Community Development Department is accepting letters until a final decision about the Tioga Inn project is made.
According to the Mono County Community Development Department, "the public is invited to comment until a final decision is made regardless of the closure date of the DSEIR comment period. Comments can be submitted after the close of the DSEIR comment period and County staff commits to providing a response, even though not required, through public hearings before the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors. Therefore, the public continues to have the opportunity to comment on and potentially affect the outcome of the project until the final decision."
• Article: Over 700 comment letters submitted about the proposed Tioga Inn Project
• Mono Lake Committee's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Shute, Mihaly & Weinberger's comment letter from August 21, 2019
• Article: Public comment letters on Tioga Inn plans needed by August 21
• Article: A 100-unit workforce housing fillage proposed adjacent to Lee
Vining near Mono Lake and Yosemite National Park
• Article: Tioga Inn project at the Mobil Station moves forward after
• Mono County website: 2019 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & DSEIR
• Mono County website: 1993 Tioga Inn Specific Plan & Final EIR
• Mono County website: Mono Basin Community Plan
*For the official listing of the "6 significant unavoidable adverse impacts" go to the Mono County Planning Division website, download the second item in the Supporting Documents list, scroll to the bottom of page 9-1 (page 324 in the PDF) and look for the red check-marks in the right-hand column of the table.
Questions? Call (760) 647-6595 or send an email.