Caltrans Hwy 395 rockfall project report #8July 2nd, 2016 by Robbie, Restoration Field Technician
Caltrans has released the eighth road report for the Lee Vining Rockfall Safety Project on Highway 395 along Mono Lake just north of Lee Vining.
Lee Vining Rockfall Safety project update #8
Updates are also posted regularly on Twitter and Facebook. Click here for all project updates and background. Text from the official update is below.
Lee Vining Rockfall Safety Project
June 29, 2016
- Stage 1 was completed in Fall 2015. Stage 1 addressed slopes 1, 2, 5, and 6.
- Stage 2 (slopes 3 and 4) are planned for construction in 2016.
- Due to concern with nesting birds on slopes 3 and 4, construction is scheduled to start July 11, 2016, contingent upon the completion of a nesting bird survey.
- The Marina Fire burned portions of slopes 3, 4, 5, and 6. We will evaluate the damage to these slopes and determine an appropriate course of action as soon as possible.
- 1-hour closures were not scheduled in 2015. Construction of Stage 2 may require 1-hour closures. As soon as more specific information on these closures is available another project update will be distributed. Any 1-hour full closures would be from 6 am to 7 am, excluding Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Delays during construction will mostly be standard up-to-20 minute delays with one-way reversing traffic control. The temporary signal uses detection technology to minimize delays. For Stage 2, the temporary signal will control U.S. 395 as well as access to the old Marina.
- The project purpose is to minimize the rockfall from six cut slopes north of Lee Vining near Mono Lake to improve safety. The project includes a plant establishment program on all slopes to reduce erosion, establish healthy soil, and promote successful revegetation.
- In addition, three of the slopes will receive anchored mesh to stabilize the slopes and reduce rockfall.
- Florene Trainor, Caltrans Public Information Officer, 760-872-0603 or Florene.Trai…@dot.ca.gov
- If you would like to be added to the email list for project updates, email Florene Trainor
- Brian Wesling, Caltrans Design Manager, 760-872-0630 or Brian.Wesl…@dot.ca.gov
- For general State highway information: 1-800-427-ROAD (7623) or www.dot.ca.gov