Caltrans Hwy 395 rockfall project report #5June 9th, 2015 by Robbie, Restoration Field Technician
Caltrans has released the fifth road report for the Lee Vining Rockfall Safety Project on Highway 395 along Mono Lake just north of Lee Vining.
Updates are also posted regularly on Twitter and Facebook.
Click here for all project updates and background.
Text from the official update is below.
Project Update #5
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
- Slope #2 – Rock scaling and slope cornice rounding is expected to be completed this week
- Slope #5
- Rock scaling is in progress.
- Test anchors have been successfully drilled and tested. The anchors will hold the anchored mesh and cable mesh in place.
- Production anchor drilling will begin this week. All anchor testing has been successful. In total, over 3,000 anchors are needed on the project.
- Slope #6
- Rock scaling is complete.
- Production anchors are complete.
- Erosion control application is in progress.
- Installation of cable netting on this slope is expected to start later this week.
- 1-hour closures have not been scheduled. As soon as more specific information on these closures is available another project update will be distributed. 1-hour full closures will be from 6 am to 7 am.
- Delays during construction will mostly be standard up-to-20 minute delays with one-way reversing traffic control. The temporary signal uses detection technology to minimize delays.
Construction began May 4 and is planned to continue through fall 2015. Construction may also be required in spring/summer 2016.
- The project purpose is to minimize the rockfall from six cut slopes north of Lee Vining near Mono Lake to improve safety. The project includes a plant establishment program on all slopes to reduce erosion, establish healthy soil, and promote successful revegetation.
- In addition, three of the slopes will receive anchored mesh to stabilize the slopes and reduce rockfall.
— Cedrik Zemitis, Caltrans Project Manager, 760-872-5250 or by email. If you would like to be added to the email list for project updates, email Cedrik Zemitis.
— Florene Trainor, Caltrans Public Information Officer, 760-872-5235 or by email.
— For general State highway information: 1-800-427-ROAD (7623) or the website.