The Andrea Lawrence Award Dinner
The Mono Lake Committee helps to carry on Andrea Lawrence's inspirational environmental legacy through the presentation of her annual award.
Please join the Mono Lake Committee in continuing a tradition that Andrea established eleven years ago—the Andrea Lawrence Award Dinner.
Andrea Lawrence Award Dinner
5:30pm on Friday, May 3, 2019
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
Park at Main Lodge and take the gondola up to McCoy Station. The gondola will
begin running at 5:00pm.
This year the Andrea Lawrence Award for passionate engagement in community and the land will be awarded to Los Angeles community leader Elsa Lopez, who engaged her organization, Mothers of East Los Angeles–Santa Isabel, in the successful implementation of LA's ultra-low-flow toilet retrofit program.
Elsa envisioned physically connecting community youth from the water conservation program to the benefits of their work by bringing them to Mono Lake to see the remarkable place they were protecting. Beginning with these early trips in partnership with the Mono Lake Committee, Elsa's leadership inspired the modern Outdoor Education Center program that connects inner-city youth with the source of their water through week-long adventures at Mono Lake.
The dinner is a chance to gather in memory of Andrea, enjoying food and conversation with a spectacular view of Mt. Andrea Lawrence. It will be an evening of good food, good friends, reminiscences, and inspirational discussion.
Please contact Lily Pastel at (760) 647-6595 for more information.
Past winners of the Andrea Lawrence Award:
• 2018: Phil Pister, desert fish and golden trout conservationist, environmental ethicist, and retired California Department of Fish & Wildlife fishery biologist
• 2017: Genny Smith, author, editor, activist, and the "Naturalist Queen of the Eastern Sierra"
• 2016: Dan & Leslie Dawson, formerly of the Valentine Eastern Sierra Reserve (Sierra Nevada Aquatic Research Laboratory and Valentine Camp)
• 2015: Ted Schade, formerly of the Great Basin Unified Air Pollution Control District
• 2014: California Department of Fish & Wildlife
• 2013: Karen Ferrell-Ingram, founding Board member and former Executive Director of the Eastern Sierra Land Trust
• 2012: Bodie Foundation
• 2011: Eastern Sierra Audubon
• 2008: Mono Lake Committee
• 2007: Friends of the Inyo
The late Andrea Mead Lawrence was an Olympic double gold medalist, mother of five, visionary environmental leader, 16-year Mono County Supervisor, and advocate for Mono Lake's protection.
• Andrea's legacy in the Eastern Sierra
• Andrea in the news
• memorial service for Andrea Mead Lawrence, April 19, 2009
• Mono-logue post about Andrea's passing
• supporters of Andrea's foundation, ALIMAR
Contributions can be made in honor of Andrea Lawrence and in support of her inspirational vision. Please send to:
Mono Lake Committee
Andrea Lawrence Fund
P.O. Box 29
Lee Vining, CA 93541